Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Midweek Musings

I have a lot racing through my mind today, so I think bullets will be the best.  My type A personality loves a good bulletted list :)


  • The bees have their first NICU follow up appointment tomorrow.  I've been told to expect to be there at least 3 hours for both of them to be seen.  My understanding is that we will see PT, OT, Speech, Nutrition & Audiology.  That's a lot of people.  I'm really hoping the bees can handle all the stimulation.

  • We had our 6 month well-baby appointment last week.  It went well.  We love our pedi and she has twins of her own, so she can relate.  She was very pleased with Chunky Bee's weight gain and motor skills.  Chunky Bee is on the growth chart for his actual age and in the "average" range for his adjusted age.  Poor little Itty Bitty Bee is still not on the charts.  Not even close.  But our pedi was pleased with his weight gain.  In the 20 days since he'd been in her office, he had gained an average of 1/2 ounce per day.  She said that was a step in the right direction.  However when we started discussing motor skills, he's behind.  Way behind :(  

  • Speaking of Itty Bitty's motor skills...he's receiving in-home PT/OT.  He was evaluated a couple of weeks ago and was classified as a 2 month old.  His body is more focused on gaining weight and breathing than building muscle tone.  We have some "exercises" - I use that term lightly - to do with him and for now he will have once a month sessions with the PT.  I'm hoping tomorrow's visit puts pressure on our provider to visit more often.

  • Insurance is such a pain in the butt!  I'm so tired of people not doing their job.  I've spoken with the billing department at the hospital where the bees were born at least 5 times about their bill.  First, they didn't file a claim with our primary insurance.  They sent me a bill for Chunky Bee.  Did they really think I was going to just fork over almost $90K for his NICU stay?  I called and thought I got it all straightened out.  Then a couple of weeks later they called me - AT WORK - and left a message.  I was mortified!  Luckily our secretary knows everything that we've been through and knows that Honey Bee and I pay our bills.  It's just so frustrating!

  • In addition to the bees' check ups last week, they received vaccines.  No fun!  Itty Bitty is on a delayed scheduled because of his small size, but Chunky is on schedule for his actual age.  Itty Bitty received 3 vaccines while Chunky received 4.  Oh and they both got their first flu shot.  The rest of that afternoon wasn't so bad, but when it was bedtime cue the fussiness and fever.  Two preemies + fever + first time mommy = scared and worried Queen B.  Both bees ran fever on and off for 4 days.  

  • I've been pumping since the bees were born.  It has become such a chore.  I have a love-hate relationship with my pump.  I love that I can provide the bees with milk and all the good stuff that comes with it.  But that's about all I love.  I hate the "swoosh, swoosh, swoosh" sound of the pump.  I hate the red, irritated areas on my nipples.  I hate washing my pump parts.  I hate waking up with two bricks on my chest.  I hate pumping!  My original goal was to make it until the bees are one year old, but I highly doubt that's going to happen.  Right now it's a month to month thing.  

I hope you're having a great week!

1 comment:

  1. I think of you often, B. I hate pumping too and I only have to do it when I'm going to be leaving Cal for more than a couple of hours. I can't imagine doing it all the time. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete